Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Lake Okeechobee Scenic Trail, Part 1

Another interesting place that I unicycled was along a section of the Lake Okeechobee Scenic Trail. This trail technically goes all the way around Lake Okeechobee in a 110 mile loop. As I was driving along 441 by the lake, I did notice much of the trail was closed due to construction on the Herbert Hoover Dike. Once the whole loop is open, that would be a pretty cool ride to say you rode around the second largest lake completely in the United States (camping would be required).
I started out near a dam outflowing into a canal called Nubbin Slough. I crossed the dam and headed south along the trail. I rode for about 1.5 miles until an afternoon thunderstorm started approaching very quickly across the water. The ride up to this point was very interesting, with the huge lake to my right and drainage canals and houses on my left. Since the trail was elevated on the dike, I decided I best be turning around before the storm was over me and I would be sitting on the only metal object 100 feet above ground level.
I want to ride more of this trail, regardless of whether its on a unicycle or a bicycle...

No comments:

Post a Comment